Friday, January 8, 2010

Quick Poll

For anyone who reads my blog, I have a quick question: I'm itching to get some new yummy meal recipes under my belt, and wanted to know what is your family's fav. dinner? The one that they might say is the best thing you make. Include the recipe as well, if you would! Thanks! Here is our family favorite for an example:

Chicken Italiano (or parmesean, but my take on it)

1 lg. chicken breast, cut in half and pounded flat between two pieces of saran wrap. (this is for our small family, just do as many breasts as you need)
Breading:
bread crumbs
parmesean cheese
flour
pinch garlic salt
smidge of italian seasoning
1 egg, mixed
Combine all the dry ingredients together and then a separate dish of more flour and salt. I just measure to taste, and modify with what I have.
Dip the chicken in the flour mixture and pat it on. Dip into egg, then into dry breadcrumb mixture. Put immediately into medium pan with 1-2 T oil. If it sizzles then you know you'll get a good crust on it. Sometimes I'll cover the top to cook it through. Flip when the bottom is crusty and golden brown. Then place in casserole dish.

Sauce: (this is the most important part!!)
I will try to start this 2 hours before I plan to eat dinner. The longer it simmers the better it gets.
olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion, or how much you like. (i keep chopped onion in my freezer since I rarely use a whole onion at a time)
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste plus one can water
1 can diced tomatoes(if your family doesn't like chunky sauce, don't add)
2 T sugar
1 t. italian seasoning
salt and pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes. (just a tiny bit, its surprising how little it takes to add a little kick)

Cook onion in oil in medium sauce-pan with a lid. Cook till starts to get soft. Add garlic and cook together till it just starts to turn brown. Add the tomatoes and seasoning. Don't taste right away, it takes awhile for the flavors to come through. Turn to low so its at a low simmer, and cover. Taste an hour later and add more seasonings or sugar, till it tastes right. Continue simmering till ready to use. (sometimes it gets too thick after simmering for so long, so I'll just add water till its the right consistency.)

Spoon sauce onto cooked chicken and top with parm. cheese and mozzarella cheese. Place in 375 degree oven while you boil pasta. I use thin spaghetti, but whatever pasta you want is fine.

Serve meal with rest of sauce to add to the pasta or chicken.

I serve this with salad, or another veggie, and my garlic braid.

Garlic Braid:

Your fav. bread or roll dough
garlic chopped finely
garlic salt
1/4 c butter
parmesean cheese

Make dough according to recipe and shape into 3 equal sized strands and braid. Microwave butter and garlic till butter is melted. Drizzle over the braid and sprinkle garlic salt and parm. cheese on top. Let rise till double in size and bake 375 degrees till lightly golden brown.

(I came up with this meal on my own, and so never use a recipe. Sorry if its not the best instructions, just do what tastes good to you!!!)

5 comments:

Ammon & Ali said...

My Mom's BBQ Meatballs. They are awesome!! AND, if I were you I would cook a whole bunch before you have your baby, because they freeze well too. My mom and sisters have gotten together a few times and done "freezer meals". We've done chicken cordon bleu, lasagna, manicotti, cheesy potatoes, and of course the BBQ meatballs so far. They've all turned out really good.

For sauce: combine in saucepan
1/4 c vinegar
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c ketchup
Bring to a boil, and then pour over cooked meatballs into oven safe pan.

For meatballs:
1 lb hamburger
milk
breadcrumbs
(for the milk and breadcrumbs i just guess. You can put a little bit in at a time, and when the meatballs start to stick together really good and not crumble you have enough)

Bake the meatballs in the oven for 20-45 minutes, depending on how many you do.

Enjoy EM!

Heather Lloyd said...

How smart of you to store chopped onion in the freezer! I'm going to do that. I'm also going to post a recipe... soon!

Marlene said...

Nice recipe! I will have to try it on Monday! Check out my recipe and also my celebrity look alike challenge! Hope the potty training is going good. Oh wait, Mom said you quit, how could you do such a thing, Nia will be scarred for life. Just kidding, I'm sure you are doing great and made the best decision for you and Nia! Love.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Hey! This is Melissa. I started a new blog that has meal ideas. I don't post a ton but I try to post once or twice a week. Check it out, hopefully there will be something on there you like. I think you and I cook very similar so hopefully you can translate my crazy recipes! There is a link on my blog, the address is stuffingmyfatfattyface.blogspot.com
I hope you like it